Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Lotus Tea and Veggie Soup

Just a quick blog entry tonight. I cooked for over 8 hours today, so am a bit tired. I made some beef seitan, again. (used the same recipe as last time) It turned out great and I moved on to some breakfast wraps. These are awesome and I think they are probably my fav thing to eat at the moment. I usually put potatoes, onions, green pepper, mushrooms, some Nooch and tofu in a whole wheat wrap. Yummy.

While I was doing all this cooking, it seemed like a good time to try the lotus blossom tea bought in Chinatown when Vegan Sister was visiting. It was so neat to watch the flower expand; sort of like a science experiment you can drink. The end result was quite pretty but tasted metallic.



The next photo almost didn't make it onto the blog. I wanted to redo the pepperoni recipe from Vegan Dad's blog. The hope was to make it not as crumbly, so I pureed the beans, which seemed to do the trick. Since I was feeling experimental today, why not add some red food coloring to give it that 'pepperoni' look? Opps! I now had PINK pepperoni. (looked like Spam) Anyway, I figured I'd eat it regardless, but it actually turned out quite nice (and darker). I sliced and fried/simmered it in some olive oil--to put some fat back in it. The whole process was time consuming, but worth it.



Next was a basic pureed soup with carrots, potatoes, tomato sauce, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, onions and vegetable bouillon in it. (salt & pepper to taste) I boiled all the veggies until tender and pureed the mixture in the blender in batches. Also added 1 cup of soy milk (unsweetened) and some chopped green onions before serving. The whole family loved this and I loved that it was almost fat-free! Also they couldn't taste the broccoli or cauliflower (no-no veggies for the family), and when I told them--it didn't matter! :)



Oh, and one final thing that didn't get pictured. I made some chocolate chip cupcakes from VCTOTW. These were a HUGE success. Hopefully if there are some left over, I'll snap a picture tomorrow. :)

**Nope, the cupcakes were gone. They were delish.

No comments: