Friday, October 03, 2008

Quick Fried Rice

Just a quick recipe you can whip up in about 25-30 minutes.  Here is Slightly Fried Rice with Tofu:


I wanted something different than the standard Peas in this dish, so after cooking I put in some chopped Cucumber.  I found the results really yummy!

My family's take on the dish -- the Teen Daughter really liked this!  Well, without the Cucumber, but she said the Tofu was OK!  The Spouse said it looked nice but he didn't want to try it.  The MIL snuck a bite while it was cooking and proclaimed it really good!  So 2 out of 3 isn't bad.   :)

Slightly Fried Rice with Tofu

Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked Rice
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Soy Sauce (I used the light version)
1/3 block of extra firm Tofu, chopped into 1/2" cubes (I used the low-fat kind)
1 tsp Garlic Powder (fresh garlic would be better)
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1/2 tsp dried Sage
1/2 medium to large Onion, chopped (I used a sweet Spanish Onion)
1/4 cup chopped or sliced Carrots
1/4 cup chopped Cucumber or whole Peas 
        *if using Cucumber, remove seeds and most of pulp

Directions:
Start cooking Rice according to instructions.  Note: I don't follow the instructions because if I do, my Rice never turns out right.  Instead I put the desired amount of Rice in a pan with a lot of water, more than recommended and drain off the excess when done.  But please cook the Rice whichever way suits you!

While the Rice is cooking, begin to warm the 2 tbsp Olive Oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. (don't put the heat up high enough so that the Oil begins to smoke!).  Chop the Tofu and toss with 1 tbsp of the Soy Sauce, Thyme, Garlic Powder and Sage.  Note: if using fresh Garlic, add to Tofu at the end of it's cooking cycle.  Add the Tofu to the skillet and cook until the nicely browned on most sides.  Add carrot and saute for about 3 minutes, then add the onion.  Cook until vegetables start to soften.

About this time the Rice should be done.  Add the Peas to the hot Rice and spoon over mixture in the skillet.  Note:  if not using Peas, then leave out and mix in the Chopped Cucumber right before serving.  Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce over the Rice and stir mixture.  Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes, or longer if you want some of the Rice a bit crispy.

Enjoy! 

----------

This post is late.  Originally I started writing it last night, but got distracted when the Spouse came home from work.  We ended up renting some movies, so blogging fell to the wayside.  :)

I should note that I'm looking for work right now, which is why I have more time for elaborate dishes.  Well, this recipe isn't elaborate, but the Seedy Garden Burger was -- for me.   We recently tried to move to the USA because of the lower cost of housing and living.  This didn't work out at all and was hurting our family.  So I had to give up an AWESOME job and head back as we (Spouse and me) were going insane from being apart.  

And remember the Seitan I mentioned from my last post?  Let's just say it was pleasantly surprising and I have some plans for it.  :)


No comments: